Sea Dogs 2019
Our coaching staff has a combined coaching experience of over 40 years. We offer a competitive swimming and diving opportunity with a focus on fun. The Sea Dogs compete in weekly Monday afternoon diving and evening swimming meets with other teams in the Country Club League. Members may choose to be a member of the swim team, dive team or both. Practices are on Monday - Friday mornings from early June until mid-July.
Swim Team Philosophy
The Swim Team at Kinsale is a summer club sport. In no way should it be confused with an Olympic training facility. Thus the focus of our swim program will be the following in order of importance:
3. Good Swimming Techniques
4. Fast Swims
Over the past 40+ years that I have been coaching, I have found that number 4 above usually results as a natural by-product of a strict adherence to numbers 1-3 above. I do not want to push children at such a young age to the point where they feel the sport not something they want to do anymore. It is my intention to expose your children to what I feel is one of the best sports. I feel it is one of the best sports for the following reasons:
1. It is a sport in which one can participate for a lifetime.
2. It is a sport with few injuries because the body’s weight is supported by natural buoyancy.
3. It can be done without having to get others together to form a team.
4. It allows accomplishment on an individual basis so one can measure their own progress.
5. Being an able swimmer opens the door to other sports and activities such as: water polo, scuba diving, water skiing, boating, fishing, surfing, sailing, windsurfing, jet skiing, body surfing, diving, etc… .
6. When your child goes to High School, they will find a group to belong to in order to fit in. I challenge you to find a better group in any High School than the swim team. Every team I have encountered has been hardworking, disciplined, and quite frankly too busy to get into trouble!
I have had many swimmers go on to great accomplishments in the sport but they did so only after enjoying their first experiences.
This is why I feel it is important that we establish realistic expectations for our swimmers and our program.
Most of our swimmers, regardless of age, are still developing swimmers. While it is a great experience to be on the team, it can not replace the small group instruction of the lesson program. Almost all of the swimmers on the team would benefit from either SwimAmerica or private lessons. Unless your swimmer has mastered all four competitive strokes, they should be taking lessons to become better swimmers.
The fee for being a member of the Kinsale Swim or Dive Team is $175 for the season. Cost to be on a second team (dive team) is $100
Developing swimmers, those who are in need of group or private lessons, will be assessed an additional fee of $120.00, if NOT enrolled in 3 weeks of group lessons or 2 private lessons each week during the season. Coach Thom will notify the parents of swimmers in need of lessons. Please contact him with any questions.
No team apparel is required, however there are a plethora of items, including the team suit, that can be ordered in the pro shop at the club.
All Sea Dog Merchandise at The Signature Shop. www.kinsalesignatureshop.com
Please direct any other questions to Thom Green, the Aquatics Director.